Hey ya’ll! Kathryn the farming florist, extraordinaire here!
I wanted to highlight 5 ideas to keep in mind while picking out your photographer. Now, this is just from my perspective… There are other things to look into as well, but these are common ideas to keep in mind.
- Editing: Yes – editing made the top of this list because, let’s be real, how a photographer edits really impacts what the flowers looks like. Take these two photos for example (At the bottom of the page). They are the complete same design, but they look completely different. I do not know which is considered the “original.” These photos are both from Pinterest and do not credit the photographer. But, one thing I do know is that they look very different.
- Cost: Yes! Cost is something to consider. It really depends on what type of photographer you want, but I have run into couples who spend most of their budget on a photographer and then they do not have anything to spend on décor. Okay – a great photographer is wonderful… but what will they photograph? Of course you… but case in point, you don’t need to get the most expensive photographer on the block to have nice photos.
- Likeability: Okay, this should be an obvious one, but likeability matters! Do you see them working well with other vendors? Do they frequently tag other vendors or keep their photos to themselves? For me, if a photographer does not spend the time to tag a florist in their work, that makes me think they do not care about the other vendors and therefore lower likeability.
- Responsiveness: Are they responsive to emails/ other forms of communication? I list this option because I reach out to all of the couples’ vendors in particular to the photographer. I will always bring some flowers for detail flowers and I want to know that the photographer feels comfortable with where I drop them off and what they are working with. There have been photographers who never email me back and then claim that they did not get an email from me when the bride asks for detail photos (true story).
- Timeliness: In the same category as responsiveness, timeliness is important to us florists. We are working with perishable items (flowers) and therefore have a pretty strict schedule to ensure all flowers look beautiful during the day. There are times where a photographer requests a certain flowers from us, we provide it, but then they lose track of time and wait to photograph the details until the reception. That flowers will still look good, but not nearly as good as when it was freshly picked the morning of.
Again – there are other reasons to pick or not pick a photographer – but hopefully this gives you an insight to our preferences when it comes to photographers.
If you are looking for recommendations to a good photographer, let us know and we will direct you to the right person!